The Second Child by Caroline Bond is a hybrid between Contemporary and Domestic Fiction – a family drama that will have you hooked from start to finish. It’s an emotional read and addresses many dilemmas and conflicts that will have you thinking hard about what you might do in a similar situation. Once again, similar to our May Book Choice, the story unfolds through the different characters viewpoints. This was our Book of the Month for June 2021. You can read our review here.
About the Book…
Why do you love your child? Is it because they’re a straight A student, a talented footballer? Or is it simply because they’re yours?
Sarah and Phil love both their children, James and Lauren. The couple have the same hopes and aspirations as any parent. But their expectations are shattered when they discover that their perfect daughter has been born with a flaw; a tiny, but life-changing glitch that is destined to shape her future, and theirs, irrevocably.
Over time the family learn to adapt and even thrive. Then one day a blood test casts doubt on the very basis of their family. Lauren is not Phil’s child. Suddenly, their precious family is on the brink of destruction. But the truth they face is far more complex and challenging than simple infidelity. It tests their capacity to love, each other and their children, and it raises the question of what makes – and what breaks – a family.
About the Author…
Caroline Bond was born in Scarborough and studied English at Oxford University before working as a market researcher for 25 years. She has an MA in Creative Writing from Leeds Trinity University, and lives in Leeds with her husband and three children.
Caroline is the author of four books. Her latest, The Legacy, is set in her childhood home town of Scarborough. She has been making up stories since she was a child. Her ambition to be a screenwriter lead her into writing novels after a long, interesting career in research which saw her spend time in a wide range of environments, from prisons to the Institute of Directors.
She writes about family in all its glory, complexity and awfulness.
Your box will include…
- A brand new paperback copy of The Second Child signed by Caroline Bond.
- Four delicious beverages – A mixture of tea and coffee.
- A Tasty Treat – Meredith and Drew biscuits.
- Online Discussion in The Fiction Cafe Book Club (optional!)
- A Beautifully scented wax melt bar.
- A Bookish Postcard – perfect for framing or displaying in your home!
- A hand poured wax seal to finish it all off – great for keeping and putting in a journal or scrapbook as decoration!
We have lots of bookish add-ons available for your box! From Bookmarks to mini wax melt burners, book holders and book baskets, we have plenty of items to add something a little special to your box of treats. Take a look at all of our options here.
* Gallery images shows an example of what may be included in your box – treat and gift content may differ. Wax melt bar scent is subject to availability and may differ in scent from the photograph and description.